There are many different situations in recovery that we can handle on our own after a point in time; but there are always going to be certain things you should call your sponsor on. The purpose of a sponsor is to take you through the steps and help you get a connection with your higher power or a God of your own understanding. Once they have taken you through the steps, a lot of people feel more freedom and less of a need to call their sponsor. I’ve made a list of 10 times (in honor of the 10th step) you should probably call your sponsor.
10 Times You Should Probably Call Your Sponsor…
1. If you are reading the big book or the literature and don’t understand what you’re reading (why not call your sponsor so they can explain it?)
2. When you are doing step work with a sponsee (or anything to do with sponsees, really).
3. When you need help with how to react or handle certain situations (when all you really want to do is whatever you want to do).
4. When you decide to date someone new, depending on your past with relationships (sometimes our pickers are broken).
5. If you have to start any statement with the question “Is it still lying when…” (call your sponsor, please).
6. When your friends or family are stressing you out (they can just be so annoying sometimes).
7. When you feel like getting high or drinking (this one is usually the top reason to call your sponsor).
8. When you feel that you are feeling too much (so sad and everything hurts).
9. When you’re trying to make a big decision (your sponsor is usually the best person to help).
10. After you do your 4th step (you don’t want to sit on all that work) and before you make amends (your sponsor can help keep you grounded).
These are just some of the times that I like to call my sponsor and think could be a good time to get in touch with your sponsor. You don’t always have to call your sponsor though and sometimes they can’t talk or are busy themselves; when that happens try praying, meditating and talking with your supports. Going to a meeting and talking with my supports normally always makes me feel better. In early sobriety, calling your sponsor as frequently as possible is usually suggested and a good idea.
There are no actual rules or specific times you need to be calling your sponsor (unless they tell you certain times to call) but you get a sponsor to help you and advise you on how to stay sober and do the right thing. My sponsor and I are friends but when I need an honest opinion on a situation she is always able to tell me what she thinks and how she sees it and the best part is I’m getting an outside perspective. Sometimes my friends and I are way too close to a situation to make a rational decision on it, so that’s what our sponsors are for. If you or a loved one are struggling with substance abuse or addiction, please call toll free 1-800-951-6135.