How Do I Know if I Need Addiction Treatment?
December 20th, 2011
By: Rhea Rosier, Palm Partners Recovery Center
If you are unfamiliar with disease of addiction and alcoholism it can be difficult to know if you need addiction treatment. Luckily there are some basic tell tale signs that will allow you to know if you need addiction treatment. Once you know if you need addiction treatment it is paramount that you take the action that follows and that entails finding an addiction treatment center that can help you with your drug and alcohol abuse. Unfortunately if you do not take action immediately one of the more permanent symptoms of drug addiction and alcoholism is death. Do not end up like the person in the picture. Become aware. Assessment. Awareness. ACTION. These can create change.
Depending on what drugs you have been using or if you have been drinking the signs that you need addiction treatment can vary. There are usually some more generic signs that you can benefit from something as an alcohol rehab or addiction treatment.
They signs that tell you if you need addiction treatment usually are consistent with the signs that you have a drug addiction and/or alcoholism. They are but are not limited to:
- Feeling that you have to use the drug regularly — this can be daily or even several times a day
- Failing in your attempts to stop using the drug
- Making certain that you maintain a supply of the drug
- Spending money on the drug, even though you can’t afford it
- Doing things to obtain the drug that you normally wouldn’t do, such as stealing
- Feeling that you need the drug to deal with your problems
- Driving or doing other risky activities when you’re under the influence of the drug
- Focusing more and more time and energy on getting and using the drug
- Experiencing blackouts or memory lapses
- The use of alcohol to alter one’s mood, i.e., to “calm the nerves”
- Binge drinking: episodic, gross over indulgence
- Hiding alcohol or sneaking drinks
- Drinking before events or social gatherings
- Job losses or complaints by employers regarding one’s drinking
- Relationship or marital problems as a result of too much drinking
- Friends, relatives or co-workers complain about problem drinking incidents
- Alcohol related arrests: public intoxication, DUI, lewd behavior, altercations
- Behavioral changes while intoxicated: anger, sexual promiscuity, rash acts
- Feeling remorseful or ashamed of behavior after drinking
- Losing friendships or social rejection as a result of one’s drinking
- Drinking before noon
- A decline in self-care or hygiene
If you have 3 or more of any of these signs you probably need addiction treatment. Like mentioned before though the most important aspect is that once you become aware and then assess that you take the action along with it. These signs just get worse over time not better so its best if you get the help you need immediately.
If you or someone you know needs addiction treatment and has any of these signs please call 877-711-HOPE(4673) or go to www.palmpartners.com