Gratitude is one of the most powerful paths to happiness there is. Look for things to be grateful for and you’ll become intoxicated with a wonderful feeling that puts life and the world into perspective.
Although keeping an attitude of gratitude is easier said than done sometimes especially living in the crazy world we live in today. There is a slew of negativity out there that can make it extremely hard to keep an attitude of gratitude. There are wars, people dying, people starving, sickness etc. and it’s easier to get caught up in the negative bullshit than it is to focus on what we have.
So on this day, funnily enough, Thanksgiving. I am going to tell you how to keep an attitude of gratitude and it may be a bit easier than you think.
While this may sound counterproductive and it may seem like it is not really going to work, trust me it will. Focus on how your life could be worse and you can keep an attitude of gratitude. You have it better than most people and I guarantee that by just showing you the facts or by just simply telling you that
- You are alive
- You have eaten today
- You probably have money in your bank account and change laying around your house
- You are on a computer reading this
- You most likely have shelter if you have all of the above
You will begin to feel more grateful.
Looking at how much worse your life could be really allows you to see how good you have it because if you think about those 5 things that I just listed, well, a lot of people in the world, actually quite a few of them, don’t even have that. There are people who have died, there are people who won’t eat today, there are people who don’t have bank accounts and would work an 8 hour day for a quarter, some people have never seen a computer, and definitely do not have shelter. You could be one of those people and your situation could be a lot worse and were just looking at basics here. Take what your life actually looks like and compare it to how bad it could be and well there you have it, gratitude.
An attitude of gratitude is not as hard as we make it out to be. I get it though, it can be hard to always remember to think of what you do have rather than what you don’t but the truth is if you have so much more than what most people do when you truly look at in the grand scheme of things.
If you are still struggling with an attitude of gratitude practice writing a gratitude list everyday with at least 5 to 10 things on it. Oh and if you are still struggling let me share these stats with you:
- If you have food in your fridge, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep you are richer than 75% of the world.
- If you have money in the bank, your wallet and some spare change you are among the top 8% of the worlds wealthy.
- If you woke up this morning with more health than illness you are more blessed than the million people who will not survive this week.
- If you have never experience the danger of battle; the agony of torture, or the horrible pains of starvation you are luckier than 500 million people alive and suffering.
And…If you can read this blog you are more fortunate than 3 billion people in the world who cannot read at all.
If your loved one is in need of drug or alcohol addiction treatment please give us a call at 800-951-6135.