If you look at the problems you have today in comparison to the problems you had in active addiction, they aren’t so bad. I know that I tend to complain about a lot of things that I should actually be grateful to be complaining about! I’ve made a list of 10 truly upsetting recovery first world problems.
10 Truly Upsetting Recovery First World Problems…
1. They won’t let me have my cell phone in rehab (I’m important and need my phone)
The fact that you’re able to be in rehab and be getting well is something that you should be so grateful for. You will survive without your cell phone; work on yourself!
2. I have to sit next to someone I don’t really like in a meeting (seriously, this is BS)
Sitting next to someone you aren’t super fond of at a meeting might be something you aren’t happy about – but deal with it! You are lucky enough to be sitting in a meeting instead of using right now.
3. The person who just shared used language from another fellowship (ugh, how dare they)
We are all here for the same reason, to work a program of recovery – no matter what we’re recovering from. We all suffer from the disease of addiction; we are just addicted to different things.
4. My halfway house put me on early curfew this week (because I broke curfew, I can’t believe this)
Well, that just makes no sense. If your halfway house puts you on early curfew or gives you more restrictions then chances are you did something wrong. Follow the rules!
5. I have to ride the bus until my parents will let me have my car back (it just got out of the shop because I crashed it when using)
Riding the bus is not that bad. In comparison to some of the situations I was in when I was in active addiction, riding a nice air-conditioned bus sounds just lovely.
6. I can’t buy cigarettes with my EBT card (cigarettes are a food group, right?)
Seeing as the EBT card is meant for buying FOOD, it’s weird you can’t buy cigarettes with it. Not really… because it’s meant for food and not nicotine. Buy your own cigarettes or quit smoking.
7. The coffee at this meeting is horrible (I wish they served Starbucks)
If you aren’t a fan of the way the coffee tastes at a meeting, don’t drink it. The fact that coffee is freely served (at most meetings) is very nice of the home group members of that meeting. If you want to be picky, then go to Starbucks before the meeting.
8. I can’t believe my job only pays us every other week (I need my money immediately)
Did you ever think you’re probably lucky to have a job AND be getting paid at all? A lot of people have trouble just getting a job yet you’re complaining about yours. Be grateful!
9. I have way too many sponsees, I’m too busy for all that (and they call all the time)
Having too many sponsees is a good thing not a problem. If you have a lot of sponsees who frequently call you, you should be very happy about that.
10. I only have a little bit of money this week because I just paid all of my bills (I hate paying bills)
In my active addiction I couldn’t pay any bills; so being able to pay all my bills and just have a little bit of money is a huge luxury for someone like me. At least all of your bills are paid!
If you or a loved one are struggling with substance abuse or addiction, please call toll free 1-800-951-6135.